Monday, July 7, 2014

Review: City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare

My first review, YAY! The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare holds a special place in my heart. It was the series that really got me into reading YA. Hopefully you guys will enjoy my review!

*Review contains spoilers.

City of Heavenly Fire cover
City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6)
by Cassandra Clare
May 27, 2014
725 pages


Goodreads Summary:
In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


Review

This book was one emotional roller coaster ride. I can't believe it's really over. Such an amazing journey in such a mesmerizing world. I'm so glad I picked up the series. Where and how do I even begin to express my feelings and share my thoughts?!?!!

Clary has definitely toughened up since CoB. I admire her strength and persistence at finding a way to defeat Sebastian and save the Shadow world. Jace and his witty personality. What more do I need to say? I love him!! The way he is able to crack a joke while being serious is priceless! Alec is super kick ass! He was super active all throughout the book (killing Meliorn and attempting to kill Sebastian). I love that he made it clear with Magnus in regards to his feelings towards a future together. No matter how much he loves Magnus, he couldn't be with him unless Mangus was honest. Isabelle in this book seemed a bit weak compared to her brother. Despite being extra moody, she was still the whip-wielding beauty we all love so much. Her interactions with Simon were cute! Simon's still every bit as wonderful and loyal as before.

Sebastian is despicable. Before I started CoHF, a little part of me wanted him to survive because he's Jonathan, he's Clary's brother. However, that little part of me was completely wiped out when I read the Prologue. Sebastian is horrible!! He cannot be forgiven for he is a twisted evil that can't be saved.

I think everyone saw Jordan and Raphael's deaths coming. Though, it was still extremely sad to see them go. Then, Izzy almost died. I honestly thought that that was it. No HEA for Sizzy. But THANK YOU SIMON for saving her!! Woot!!! And finally, Sebastian dies!! It was very fitting for Clary to be the one to stab him but then Jonathan appeared. When he was lying in Jocelyn's lap apologizing to Clary, my heart was in pieces. The son that Jocelyn could've had, the brother that Clary could've had, the friend that everyone could've had and most importantly, the Jonathan that the readers could've had was right there. How heartbreaking that just as quickly as we got to meet him, he's ripped away.

On a happier note, so many hilarious moments in this book! I'm sure lots of other reviewers have already mentioned them. Alec walking in on Sizzy twice was too funny!! Love his reactions both times. Jace bringing a condom to the demon realm, like really? I thought Jace would explain this in a humourous way but I guess we all know Clare's message is to be safe. Brother Zachariah is hot! Again, we all know this if we've read TID~ I adore how genuine he is with everyone around him. And finally, Maia got rid of Maureen! Such a clever trick with the holy water! Props to Lily!

Many moments in the book really got my tears flowing. One place was when Magnus called on his father to get them all out of Edom. He was going to sacrifice himself. I was praying noooo because TMI without Magnus Bane is not TMI. Then Simon stepped up. I was thinking perfect, Simon never wanted to be immortal anyways, but no. Asmodeus had to take his memories of the Shadow world too. I was an emotional mess even though deep down, I knew we'd get Simon back. Somehow. Imagine my joy when I found out he's going to be a Shadowhunter!!! Simon's a hero and he totally deserves it! *happy dance

Lastly, Jem. Jem talking about the Herondales. Jem talking to Emma. Jem with Tessa at Jocelyn and Luke's wedding. All the feels!!! Words cannot adequately convey them.

I was surprised Cassandra Clare didn't really kill off any of the main characters. I'm really glad she didn't but at the same time I'm wondering why. I think it's safe to say that everyone was expecting a major character death. Then I read a post on her tumblr where someone asked her about this. I can say that after reading her answer, I'm 100% satisfied. The ending couldn't have been more perfect.

From the scenes of Emma and Julian to Magnus warning the Clave that the Faeries will not be easily put down, Clare very nicely sets up the premises for TDA. I'm so relieved there will be more books about the Shadowhunters! I'm completely not ready to leave this world yet (don't think I ever will be). I can't wait to get my hands on TDA, TLH AND TWP!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! loved your review! I nominated you for the Liebster Award at http://iamsimplyabookdrunkard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! I will definitely take a look :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...