Sunday, July 27, 2014

Discussion #2: YA books

It's Sunday where I am and it's a beautiful day. I get to be lazy and just read without interruptions! So, I thought I'd just post a short discussion today. This is mainly to satisfy my curiosity ;)

How did everyone got into reading YA books? When I was younger, I don't recall seeing books being labelled Young Adult. (Or maybe it's because I didn't use to read as much then.) I know there are a lot of debates surrounding the categorization of YA books. I've heard people say it's not a genre. So how do you classify it?

I've never read an adult book but how does it differ from YA? Besides the obvious part that the characters are older I'm curious to find out how different it is (or isn't). From your point of view, what sets YA books apart from Adult books? I'm looking forward to picking up an Adult novel to find out myself!

Sorry about the string of questions that are about to follow but I really want to hear your opinions! How did you discover YA? What about YA books do you find most appealing? How do you feel about people's claim that readers who aren't in the YA age range, shouldn't be reading YA? I know I'm above that age limit but I love YA. And no one's going to stop me from reading YA books!

Please share your thoughts with me!

10 comments:

  1. I discovered YA through The Hunger Games when I was nine. Yes, I was a little too young comparing to the ages of the characters, but I fell in love with the diversity and gorgeousness of the subject, and from there on, I've always been reading YA books. So I really thank Suzanne Collins everyday for introducing me to my love.

    I find the subjects, characters, community, and covers really appealing. There's no books like YA, right? There's a huge YA bookish community, and it's amazing to meet new people and share our similarities with each other.

    I think that you're never too old or young to read YA. Once you feel like you want to read books in the YA genre, then you should read it because of your maturity. I began reading it when I was 9, mixing in with some pre-teen reads too. And I've always stated that I'm never going to stop reading YA. It's just amazing.

    I guess YA is different than Adult because of the maturity that the readers need to be when reading it, the atmospheres, and the ages of the characters. Of course, the older you are, the more mature you are, so that stays the same when reading Adult. I've read Adult books before, and some haven't intrigued me especially because of the fact that I can't relate to the characters, and age is one of those factors.

    No worries! Thanks for the great questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything's you've said. Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions! YA is definitely unique ;) And the huge book community is just so awesome!! I'm so greatful for books that led me to meet great people. Wonderful people like you :) So thank you!

      Delete
  2. I think mine started when I picked up the H.P. series back in 2005 I think it was. I was a goner after then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! For me, Harry Potter was what really got me started reading. We're all goners hahaha.

      Delete
  3. I would have to say when I started reading Maggie Quinn in eighth grade. But even now I still only dabble in YA. I like to read a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of everything sounds great! I'm looking forward to trying new stuff!

      Delete
  4. I remember never really liking young adult books and preferring to just read 'fiction' but now that I think about it, I don't remember books being labelled 'young adult' either. Just goes to show how things change. Nice post :) And I can't even say how excited I was when I saw you were from Canada. As one Canadian to another, I see so few Canadian bloggers :)

    http://novellette.com
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12522799

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love fiction too. And I don't know why YA appeals to me, I just love it :)
      Yes!! Whenever I see a blogger from Canada, I get so happy!

      Delete
  5. When I was a teen, there wasn't the variety of YA that there is now. Then when I was in college I picked up a Sarah Dessen book and I was like YES THIS IS SO ME!!! I've been reading strictly YA ever since. Adult books are okay and the big difference in them is the type of lives the characters are living. Like obviously as a 20 or 30 something, different things are going to be priorities and struggles than 15-20 year olds. I like the escapism that YA gives me because I'm not a YA anymore :) If you are going to try an adult book, I would rec Jodi Piccoult, Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella, or Jennifer Wiener (if you want to read chick-lit that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I complete agree with you! I like the escapism too :) Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check out those authors!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...