Friday, July 11, 2014

Review: On the Fence by Kasie West

For this review I'm trying something different. I realize a lot of people who haven't read the book wouldn't want to read a review with spoilers. So I decided to white out the spoilery parts and readers can highlight at their own discretion. I'm doing it this way because I really want to share ALL of my thoughts. Hope this works well!


On the Fence cover
On the Fence
by Kasie West
July 1, 2014
304 pages


Goodreads Summary:
She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door…

Charlie Reynolds can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at a chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world. To cope with the stress of her new reality, Charlie takes to spending nights chatting with her neighbor Braden through the fence between their yards. As she grows to depend on their nightly Fence Chats, she realizes she's got a bigger problem than speeding tickets-she's falling for Braden. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

Fun, original, and endearing, On the Fence is a romantic comedy about finding yourself and finding love where you least expect.


Review

Kasie West never disappoints! Her contemporary stories are always cute and fluffy and On the Fence was no less!! I devoured this book in a day because once I picked it up, I just couldn't put it down.

Every character in this book was lovable. With Charlie, at first I thought she was rude and insensitive. Then, as I got to know more about her, I understood her better. I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up without a mom. Thank goodness she has her strict but loving dad and obnoxious but overprotective brothers.


Her brothers are the best part of this book for me (besides the romance of course). I love the fact that they were extremely protective of Charlie even though it caused her to think of herself as unattractive and big and burly. It just shows how much they love and care about her. I wish I had brothers to be athletic with!

I love that Braden loved Charlie the way she was, not just with the fancy make-up. He treated her with honesty, believed in her strength and even hinted her that there was more to her mom than she remembered. I was surprised when Charlie's dad revealed that her mom was depressed and her car accident wasn't really an accident. Charlie was even in the car (by accident). No wonder she was having those nightmares! I'm glad she had Braden to share her true feelings with.

The one part that I felt was lacking (just the tiniest bit) were the fence chats. I thought there would be more since it was the one place we got to see the other side of Charlie and Braden. I thought we'd get to see them bond more and I wanted more! Nevertheless, it was sweet and fun to read about the two! Too bad my next door neighbours are all girls or else I'd love to try some fence chats myself ;)

A fun and adorable must-read! Ms. West, can I get a story with one of Charlie's brothers? Now, I think will go back to my corner and patiently wait for her next book.

Note: I won this book from a HarperCollins Canada giveaway. My review is my most honest opinion and was in no way influenced by this. They are awesome so do check them out at http://hccfrenzy.tumblr.com/!!

8 comments:

  1. I adored this read, well, I like all her books but for some reason I just loved this one. So glad you liked it too. You are right though, it would have been nice to have more of the fence chats, I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Everything she writes I just love love love!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one! I love everything by Kasie West, and this, right next to Split Second, is the only one that I haven't read by her! It's on my ASAP TBR list, though. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Split Second is super good!!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Now that you mention it, I wish there were more fence chats, and I wish there were better. I really liked On the Fence (and every Kasie West book) but OTF wasn't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review, I can't wait to read this book!! It sounds like something I'd like, and the romance sounds adorable ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...