Thursday, July 17, 2014

Review: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

I really loved this book so I wanted to share it here. If you haven't picked it up yet, you should!


The Coldest Girl in Coldtown cover
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black
September 3, 2013
419 pages

Goodreads Summary: 
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.


Review 

This book is so so so good. At first I was a little hesitant to pick it up because it's about vampires. There are just too many vampire stories out there already. Do I really want to read more?!? But I'm so so so glad I read it. It definitely has an interesting take on vampires. They're actually incorporated into the society instead of being kept a huge secret. That peaked my interest.

I liked that this was a standalone. Although, I'm really going to miss Tana and Gavriel. They shared steamy scenes with such incredible chemistry. I absolutely loved them together! Their relationship felt so forbidden but so right for them.

I did not see the twist coming at the end but it surprised me in a really good way. I was satisfied and more than happy to see Gavriel finally exacting his revenge. In my mind, it was just right that Tana was the one to kill Lucien.

I do have one problem with the ending though. While I'd like to think Tana and Gavriel ended up together, I just doubt it's possible since she's human (if she successfully beats the infection) and he's a vampire. I feel like there wasn't really any closure for them :( I guess I'll just have to let my imagination do the work! And maybe that's what Holly Black wanted for her readers anyways!

10 comments:

  1. I didn't read the spoilers since I haven't read this yet but I am so happy this one surprised you and you really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend this one if you don't mind that it's vampires all the time haha :)

      Delete
  2. I really liked this one too. I'm a huge Holly Black fan :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read this one by her but I'm definitely interested in reading more of her books!

      Delete
  3. I saw this in the library earlier but wasn't sure if I'd want to pick up a vampire story - now that I've read your review, I'll have to go back to the library and see if the copy is still available. I want to find out more about Tana and Gavriel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! Let me know!

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to read this! Great review.

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen so many people talk about how good this book is, but I've yet to pick it up. For shame. It's going on my list for the next trip to the library. :) And thank you for hiding spoilers! That is such a crafty way to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it!! Thanks! I remember seeing other reviewers do this and thought it's a great way :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...