Monday, August 3, 2015

Review: Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven #1) by Melissa West


Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven #1) by Melissa WestPieces of Olivia
(Charleston Haven #1)
by Melissa West
July 15, 2014
210 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Olivia Warren used to be a normal girl with a bright future.
But on one fated night, everything changed.

Hiding the scars of her past up her sleeves, Olivia transfers her enrollment from Columbia University to The College of Charleston, determined to pursue her own dreams for the first time in her life.

She intends to allow herself a bit of alone time to heal... that is, until she meets Preston.

Preston is best friends with her roommate, completely hot, and off-limits. But the chemistry between them is instantaneous—and as the pair begins to spend more time with one another, their feelings for each other build into something undeniable, something powerful enough to heal Olivia’s deepest scars.

Olivia tries to put her own past behind her and trust Preston, but she discovers that his past might be more present than she ever bargained for…

 
 
Review

When I picked up this book, I didn't really expect anything. Even though the blurb interested me, I was just looking for a quick, fun NA read. A certain part of the story frustrated me otherwise, surprisingly, this book was good.

Olivia went through something horrible. What happened to her was definitely unique. I haven't read a NA book that had this premise.
Her friends, including her bff and bf, died in a house fire. She was the only survivor. I'm not quite sure exactly how therapy works but her sessions with Rose seemed very rational. I like that what happened to her was revealed slowly. Rose paced Olivia so that she showed her raw emotions as she accepted the reality.

This was a romance-centered book but for the life of me I didn't understand the attraction between Olivia and Preston. It kind of just seemed like she was available and he was around so why not. Though I will give them credit for sharing some steamy moments.

I also have a huge problem with Preston's secret. Mainly because it's so OBVIOUS. How does anyone miss it when it's staring at you right in the face? Just whatttttt!!! The whole time I was waiting for Olivia to figure it out I wanted to chuck fruits at her. There were hints literally everywhere!

Despite the glaringly obvious secret, I still for the most part enjoyed this book. It reminds me of two other NA books. A combination of the two but I won't say which two in case it gets spoilery ;) The premise for the next book was clearly set up and I think I'm curious enough to want to continue.
 
3 Cats

Melissa WestAbout this Author
Melissa West writes heartfelt Southern romance and YA sci-fi romance,all with lots of kissing. Because who doesn't like kissing?. She lives outside of Atlanta, GA with her husband and two daughters and spends most of her time writing, reading, or fueling her coffee addiction.

She holds a B.A. in Communication Studies and a M.S. in Graphic Communication, both from Clemson University.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this enough to continue even if parts were frustrating. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't DNF a book so I pushed on and I'm glad cause the ending was good ;)

      Delete
  2. If you feel like reading the sequel that means this one wasn't all that bad, even if you had some issues with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! The ending sort of made everything ok for me haha :)

      Delete
  3. I like the cover but it sounds like something I need to pass. Nice review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazmen! You never really know though, you might like it :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...