Guys, last Friday I got to meet NYT Bestselling Author Mary E. Pearson! Squeeee! She was in Vancouver for vacation and agreed to do a signing. Thank you so much to Raincoast Books for making it happen!
I headed straight to the bookstore after work. I was basically the first one there so I sat down in the front row after the bookstore finished setting up for the event. When it was time, Mary came out with Lindsay from Me On Books who was moderating the event. She asked Mary some really great questions! There were laughs and some serious nods.
I managed to remember some of the things Mary talked about during the event:
1. Mary explained that the relationship between Lia,Rafe andKaden wasn't a love triangle. She doesn't consider it so because Lia really only had feelings for one guy through TKoD. Their relationship is what she would call "love complicated".
2. The ARC version of The Heart of Betrayal contains a small passage that was later taken out and not in the finished copies. She couldn't remember where exactly this passage was though.
3. She loved writing the Komizar. Even though he was a villain in our eyes, from his own point of view, he was a hero.
4. Mary didn't know the ending to the trilogy until she sat down and started writing. Before that, she just had brief synopsis written down.
5. Some of her favourite female characters include Kestrel from Marie Rutkoski's The Winner's Trilogy and the ladies (Ismae, Sybella and Annith) from Robin LaFever's His Fair Assassin series.
After the Q&A session, Mary read the beginning of The Beauty of Darkness to us. Then she did a little trivia and gave away two goodie baskets. We were all really stumped on the finish-the-quote questions. Oops.
Then came time for the signing! I was really nervous when Mary got to me so I didn't say a lot but she was so nice! I was second in line so I managed to snatch a signed poster of The Beauty of Darkness. Yippy~
It was so lovely to meet Mary! Thank you so much for coming to Vancouver and thank you again to the Raincoast ladies for making it possible~
Now if you guys haven't read her Remnant Chronicles yet, you should definitely get on it ;)