Monday, May 22, 2017

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas


*This review contains spoilers and spoilers from the previous books in the series.
 
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Wings and Ruin
(A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)
by Sarah J. Maas
May 2, 2017
705 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.


 
Review

Amazing. Epic. Incredible Mind-blowing. All words I'd use to describe how I felt about A Court of Wings and Ruin. It was beyond anything I expected. All. The. Feels. And more!
 
The best type of stories are the ones that leave impressions on you. SJM's A Court of Thorns and Roses series is one such example. I felt so deeply for the characters and their worlds. SJM toyed with our emotions but she gave us so much story. There's jam-packed action, characters with unique qualities and a world full of wonders. Her writing is flawless. She satisfies our needs and gives us so much more to look forward to.

The deception Feyre weaves at the Spring Court had me in awe and maybe some fear. Never mess with the High Lady of Night Court. The way she expertly crafts and carefully executes her plans left me feeling just a little bit sorry for Tamlin. I thought we'd spend more time at her former home but I'm glad it wasn't long. Just the right amount for Feyre to unleash her vengeance on those who have wronged her and her loved ones.

Feysand is the epitome of love. "...I would have waited five hundred more years for you. A thousand years. And if this was all the time we were allowed to have... The wait was worth it." (p. 612). I really think SJM did a phenomenal job wrapping up Feyre and Rhysand's story arc. Albeit their sex scenes sometimes felt cheesy and awkward, the unending support and understanding they show each other filled my heart. Nothing beats that seriously.

I don't want to say too much about this because I'm no expert but there is diversity. SJM brings it out in the other Courts and in Mor. I've seen people being skeptical and talking about how there were no hints of Mor's sexual orientation before. What I want to say is, why does she have to hint it in the previous books? My definition of a great story is one where I'm able to be surprised by the author. SJM certainly did that for me with ACOWAR. I'm sad the Mor and Azriel ship won't be sailing but no matter what they're still family and very much a part of each other's story.
 
A Court of Wings and Ruin was full of twists. SJM drops bombshell after bombshell:
 
  • the truth behind Lucien's parentage (the Day Court is now his by birthright)
  • there's more to Eris, Lucien's oldest brother/Mor's once betrothed, than we thought
  • the Carver and the Weaver's reappearance/death and the fact that they're twins?!
  • The Prince of Merchants aka Feyre's father bringing a fleet to the rescue then dying (I think a lot of people, including myself, wrote him off long ago as the uncaring absentee father. I'm so touched he redeems himself, in such a spectacular way too.)
  • Nesta and Cassian could possibly be mates? YES PLEASE!
  • Mor's enormous confession that basically sunk the Mor/Azriel ship
  • the possiblity of a love triangle between Elain, Lucien and Azriel
  • how fitting it was that Elain strikes down Hybern and Nesta delivers the killing blow!!
  • Amren's romance with Varian (so cute) followed by her betrayal/sacrifice
  • Tamlin sheds the asshole status when he saves both Feyre and Rhysand on separate occasions
  • Rhysand's "death" and his revival (I thought it was neat how we got him back in the same way we got Feyre back at the end of ACOTAR. Also, had he not made Feyre High Lady of the Night Court, she wouldn't have been able to save him. Right?)

These are just a few of the events I could think of, there are lots of smaller details too. SJM ties everything together. Every character she introduced served a purpose. She explored everything and I'm just in awe of how she does it all.

Nesta and Cassian are my new OTP. "Cassian's eyes did not leave Nesta's; nor did hers leave his. There was no warmth, no tenderness on either of their faces. Only that raging intensity, that blend of contempt and understanding and fire." (p. 398-399). I'm praying the spin off will be about them. I've heard the series will be three standalones. My best guess is it'll be on the Inner Circle members. There are some complex webs that SJM has yet to untangle for us. Probably for this exact reason. From A Court of Wings and Ruin I get the vibe we'll see Elain, Lucien, Azriel, Mor, Eris and Vassa again. In whatever which ways their stories will intersect and impact each other, I'm sure SJM will deliver.

A Court of Wings and Ruin has given me a huge book hangover. I'm not sure when I'll be able to step out of it but I do know I'm so beyond pumped for the spin off books! I couldn't stop talking to my friend Kim about them!! The need for these books is stronger than my need to breathe!

5 CatsRipple StarDouble Ripple Star

4 comments:

  1. AH, it got TWO Ripple stars!!! And so very well deserved! I absolutely loved it and I'm still itching for yet another re-read! I cannot wait for some announcements about the spin off books! I really hope it'll be all about Nesta and Elain and the Inner Circle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly would've put more Ripples in if I didn't think people would probably call me crazy lol... Nessian is my OTP! I'm dying for some news of the spin offs. Anything please?! LOL

      Delete
  2. You're totally convincing me to read this series. I haven't been reading fantasy for awhile but your review is making me want to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thrilled to hear that Natalie! I hope I didn't spoil anything *looks at all the spoilers in the review* XD I really really hope you'll fall in love with these books! They're not without faults but they're so enjoyable~

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...