Monday, October 30, 2017

Review: Hideaway (Devil's Night #2) by Penelope Douglas

 
Hideaway by Penelope Douglas
Hideaway
(Devil's Night #2)
by Penelope Douglas
October 2, 2017
466 pages


Goodreads Summary:
DEVIL'S NIGHT is returning! Hiding places, chases, and all the games are back...

BANKS

Buried in the shadows of the city, there’s a hotel called The Pope. Ailing, empty, and dark—it sits abandoned and surrounded by a forgotten mystery.

But you think it’s true, don’t you, Kai Mori? The story about the hidden twelfth floor. The mystery of the dark guest who never checked in and never checks out. You think I can help you find that secret hideaway and get to him, don’t you?

You and your friends can try to scare me. You can try to push me. Because even though I struggle to hide everything I feel when you look at me—and have ever since I was a girl—I think maybe what you seek is so much closer than you’ll ever realize.

I will never betray him.

So sit tight.

On Devil’s Night, the hunt will be coming to you.

KAI

You have no idea what I seek, Little One. You don’t know what I had to become to survive three years in prison for a crime I would gladly commit again.

No one can know what I’ve turned into.

I want that hotel, I want to find him, and I want this over.

I want my life back.

But the more I’m around you, the more I realize this new me is exactly who I was meant to be.

So come on, kid. Don’t chicken out. My house is on the hill. So many ways in, and good luck finding your way out.

I’ve seen your hideaway. Time to see mine.



Review

I have been waiting forever to read Hideaway! The Devil's Night books are like drugs- crazy addictive and not good for your health~ I almost didn't eat and sleep so that I didn't have to put this book down. I pretty much inhaled Hideaway.

Hideaway is such an apt title for this second installment. Simply put there's a lot of hiding going on in the story on all sorts of levels. The hide and seek and hunting games, the hidden floor(s), the secret house and the concealed identity and feelings all excited me. The tone of the book kind of jumped around. It was serious and intense at one moment then playful and hilarious in the next. Jarring at times but I liked it in that I didn't know what to expect at every turn. This was a long book given it's almost 500 pages but it wasn't enough at all.

I'm so obsessed with this series even I find myself a little ridiculous haha. I love the characters Ms. Douglas has created. They're so complex and brimmed with emotions it's hard not to feel anything for them. I'm intrigued by their lives and super invested in their relationships. A warning that there are some stomach-turning suggestions and revelations (one particularly revolting) in these books. They were hard to swallow but insightful.

Of the Four Horsemen Kai is my favourite. No matter what he did or what he thought of himself, he was good. This is notably evident in Hideaway. I was surprised the deed he did with Rika and Michael in Corrupt was brought up but I'm glad he had a chance to explain and clarify things. I loved being in his head. His calm demeanor, quiet intensity and protective nature had me head over heels. Banks didn't stand a chance ;)

While Banks's identity did not surprise me in the least bit I was very interested to see how Ms. Douglas would use it. I could 100% understand the hard spot Banks was in. The announcement of her identity was kind of underwhelming given the build up but I love how the Horsemen used it to their advantage. It was clever and the perfect way to get what they wanted with the least amount of violence. The main conflict kind of fizzled out but surprisingly I liked it that way.

Banks and Kai had great chemistry but I did feel their connection wasn't as strong as Rika and Michael's. Probably because Banks wasn't as familiar a character. Regardless I loved their chase scene through The Pope. So sexually-charged and boiling hot. They're a good pair.

Lastly I just want to say Damon still gives me the creeps even though it's now more clear than ever where his destructive nature came from. He doesn't exactly redeem himself in Hideaway but we get a glimpse of a tinsy bit of goodness in him. Then again, who doesn't love a bad boy once in a while? I am also a bit curious about Will and Alex...

I really wanted to read Hideaway slowly when I got it in my hands. I wanted to savour the story after the long wait but honestly it was just physically impossible. Every page made me eager for the next one and I could not stop. These stories are pure addiction. Except for the waiting I'm so stoked for the rest of the Devil's Nights books!
 
4.5 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...